yup, it’s that time again – time for the mn state fair.
one of two things will happen tomorrow when cb and i go to the fair. 1) i will leave feeling very full from eating the plethora of weird food on a stick options that make our state fair special. or 2) i will be in jail after going on a mass killing spree (crowds tend to make me cranky – well, crankier than usual i should say).
some fun facts:
- the fair is the largest in the nation (based on daily attendance numbers)
- the first state fair was held in 1859 and has been held every year since with the exception of 5 (due to war’s, polio outbreaks and the worlds fair in chicago)
- every year they sculpt a bust of “princess kay of the milky way” out of butter. yes, butter.
- vice president teddy roosevelt’s famous line “speak softly and carry a big stick” was first uttered at the fair on steptember 2, 1901. four day’s later, he became president after william mckinley was assassinated.
- at the fair you can get:
- alligator on a stick
- spaghetti and meatballs on a stick (very tasty, worth the long line if you ask me)
- deep fried candy bar’s on a stick
- black cherry flavored pickles on a stick
- macaroni and cheese on a stick
- deep fried chocolate chip cookies on a stick
- sloppy joes on a stick
- cheese on a stick
- oriental lemon chicken on a stick
- rocky road scones on a stick
- batter dipped fried fruit on a stick
- key lime pie dipped in chocolate on a stick
- lamb on a stick
- machinery hill (where the tractors are) rocks. where else can you play on big equipment like it’s a life-sized tonka truck?
- the haunted house is also one of my favorites – also worth the long line
hopefully i will make it out without killing anyone with some great pics – stay tuned.